Monday, July 5, 2010

In class Task 1

1. My name is Wan Fariha Wan Azami, ID number : 2006146131. I'm from Bandar Jengka, Pahang. I spend my free time by listening to the radio, watching movies or television and surfing the internet. I'm not so good when it comes to computer, but i'm looking forward to explore and learn more about it.


2. I'm not an expert in term of computer skills because i only know the basic skills. So, i rate myself as a beginner or an illiterate user. I use my laptop or computer mostly for my assignment purposes and sometimes to surf the internet (facebook, friendster, youtube etc)-entertainment. I only know the basic skills of using the computer and i admit there are so many things to be explored and learnt, since I always wondering what is so special about computer, till some of people are crazy about it because i only see it as a tool for me to complete all my assignments.


3. I don't know much about computer software and hardware. i can name some of them, but i'm not be able to describe more. I know some about photoshop, anti-virus software, ICT gadgets and games. But, honestly i would say that i know almost nothing about those. For me, computer is a complicated gadget and too much to be learnt about it.


4. I'm not sure about it. I had my computer class during my secondary school and i learnt how to use internet (to search information). During the pre-degree session, i had my computer literacy class. other than that, i learnt more during my computer class (part 1). Besides, my research lecturer, Dr. Ros Aizan taught me more on how to find more online information and materials for my research.


5. Yes, i did. i showed my students some videos downloaded from youtube, which related to the topics or theme discussed. sometimes, i brought them to the APD room and watch movies for literature subject. Of course it was a success. They were very excited and interested about the topic. From my observation, students have better understanding when the lessons involve the usage of technology, especially for literature subject. they were very excited to discuss after watching videos, rather than having discussion after reading activities. Hence, the applications of technology or computer in the language classroom really help the teachers in order to create interesting, meaningful and creative lessons for ESL teaching.


6. I definitely suggest the usage of computer/technology in language teaching. It encourages students' participation during the teaching and learning process. somehow, language learning is quite boring especially for the beginner learner or rural area students. so, by having the lessons which involve the technology, teachers are able to create interesting and meaningful learning environment. So, the teachers are encouraged to use technology as their teaching aids in order to create variable teaching styles and variability of learning environment. Language is a large aspect of learning. Hence, by having the technology application in teaching language will enhance students' interest and it helps in improvising their level of proficiency.

7. When i completed this course, I hope that I can know more about computer or technology knowledge or usage to be used in the teaching and learning process (P&P) of ESL classroom, since I admit the effectiveness of it in the context of language teaching. I wish I can produce my own courseware for different language skills in order to help my students learn and master the target language (English), not for examination purposes only, but as a motivation for them to acquire the language as their second language. So, i believe that this course will help me to learn more on how to integrate the usage of computer and technology with the language learning and teaching process in the classroom. Moreover, i hope that this course will help us (future teachers) to be updated with the fun, but meaningful lessons for IT generation students.

1 comment: